Monday, January 11, 2016

Winter Wonderland

Dear Friends and Family,

First of all, funny story time! I think Sister Greenwood and I have had to clear up the fact that Mormons are not polygamists quite a bit this week. The conversation always goes like this:


Them: So you're Mormons, right? And you practice polygamy, right?


Us: We are Mormons, but we don't practice polygamy. 


Them: Yes, you do. I read about it somewhere.


Us: No we really don't practice polygamy. I promise you. I am a Mormon.


Them: No. You do. I know it. 


Us: We really don't, and if we did, my mom would not be a happy camper. 

(Then laughter ensues and people hopefully actually do believe that we don't practice polygamy.)

The Christmas season is finally over here. We had an activity for Christmas on Saturday (in which I played the main role in a skit titled "Hotel my Heart" written by our very own Ward Mission Leader) and a fireside yesterday, organized by the Young Women (in which I sang a lot of solos because I sing louder than everyone else). Essentially, the past weekend was just like home as I got to do two of the things I love the most: singing and acting. 


Sister Greenwood and I have seen a steady increase in the work in our area. After 5 weeks of planning and street teaching and visiting members, I have seen more miracles than I ever have. I know that the promise found in 2 Nephi 25:23 is true. After we do all we can, the grace of Jesus Christ saves us. 


We had 6 people show up to our activity last Saturday that we found on the street, and a former investigator that I had in Red Army came as well. It was a really strange acitivity to be honest, especially if you aren't a member of the church. We did a game where everyone was blindfolded and had to find their way through a maze listening only to voices, and we played jeopardy based on the Gospel of Jesus Christ that involved a lot of knowledge of the Book of Mormon. But, in the end, they still want to meet with the missionaries! One of them even said he knew what he heard was true! Just goes to show that the Spirit is what really matters because even if the people we teach understand nothing else, if they feel the goodness and joy and peace that the Spirit brings, they'll want it again and again.


I'm so grateful that I can serve a mission. I can't tell you all how much happier and much more bright the world seems to me now. I love every minute of every day. Even when the going gets tough and the people aren't all that nice, I know that I'm doing the Lord's work and that He's at the helm. And I just love seeing how having that knowledge changes lives. The peace that comes into our hearts because of the knowledge of a loving Father in Heaven is irreplacable and priceless. It helps us overcome the hardest of times because it gives us the hope that there is a better world and that all things will be made right through the eternal plan of a Loving Father who is always there to help us reach our greatest dreams and desires.


I love you all, and I hope that your January isn't as cold as it's beginning to be here! (Don't worry, though, I've got a nice fluffy coat).


Love,


Sister Jarvis

No comments:

Post a Comment