Monday, August 1, 2016

Be Yourself, Unless You Can Be Batman, Then Be Batman

Okay, funny story time!

My sister, Hillary, sent me some pictures from when I was 8, and for those of you who don't know, I was a very fat child. Cute, but definitely fat. I opened my sister's letters when I was on the train with the zone leaders on our way back from a meeting in Rostov. Ever since then, we've been cracking fat jokes about me as a child. (I find it hilarious, so don't worry about my feelings.) 

It gets better, though, because on splits last week, Sister Moore and I went to visit a member here named Sveta. She's a really active member. Former Relief Society president. Really awesome. She's very honest, though, as most Russians are, so as she was looking through my family photos she gets to those pictures my sister sent me. She's kind of confused as she looks at them, and finally she asks, "Is that you?" I reply to the affirmative and add, "I was plump." She looks at the picture and says "No, you were fat." I died laughing.

And since then, she's been my best friend.
As, you can see, I've been making friends in the branch, and I'm getting to know the area. 

One of the friends I made was little Timur, a 4-year-old kid in the Primary. He was showing me this Batman toy he found in the nursery room. And we were talking about how cool Batman is, when he looked up at me and noticed that we both have glasses. He asked me if I have bad vision, and I told him yeah; he said he does too, and he kind of looked down at the ground. But then he got the BIGGEST smile on his face and he looked back at me and said, "But it's okay because Jesus will give us new bodies! And we'll all be like Batman!"

His parents have been teaching him well.
I love working with the Primary kids. They understand the Gospel so well, but they compare it to the funniest things. The sweetness and innocence that children have is incomparable. And it's contrasted so sharply to when they just won't be reverant. It's so fun to be able to see the world through their eyes for just a little bit. 

Timur taught me that anyone can understand the Gospel, and it's fine if what they understand is that we'll all be awesome like Batman when the resurrection happens. The Gospel is simple and because it's so simple, it's beautiful. 

Just as Alma describes to his son, what God asks of us is simple, we just need to be willing to do it.

O my son, do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so was it with our fathers; for so was it prepared for them, that if they would look they might live; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever. (Alma 37:46)
I love you all! Have a wonderful week!

Love,

Sister Jarvis

No comments:

Post a Comment