Monday, August 15, 2016

Russian Girls' Camp and the Miracle Mexican Fiesta

The Novo crew and the Johnston's, our senior couple
Inline image 1

Man what an awesome week!


Part One of the two part week started in Krasnodar.


We had GIRLS' CAMP! It was so fun!


Here are a few pictures.


Sister Johnstun enjoying a slightly damp, but heavenly pulled pork sandwich.


As with any good girls' camp we were HEAVILY rained out (with giant balls of hail falling from the sky) during our picnic on the river side.   This is Sister Sommers and I during the crazy storm.


The girls had a wonderful time. They were able to open up more than I have ever seen them the past few weeks. They became better friends, and I was able to get to know them a little better myself. The highlight of the whole camp was improv dancing to classical music. Turns out even half way accross the world, interpretive dance is just as funny.


After Girls' Camp, we headed down to Novorossiysk. It is absolutely gorgeous! Here was my first view of it:

We had a Mexican fiesta with the branch on Saturday. They invited a family of non-members to come, and the oldest daughter came to church the following day! Although none of these Russians have had real Mexican food, let alone met someone from Mexico, they did a pretty good job trying to be authentic... It was actually hilarious since one of the missionaries serving here in Novo is half Mexican and lived in Mexico for part of his life. He taught us all to salsa.

So, anyway. Volunteer work continues and miracles happen. The branch in Novo is a miracle in and of itself. The branch president is so funny and so sassy. It makes me sad that yesterday was probably my first and last Sunday here. I'm glad I was able to come at all, though.


Sister Sommers and I have had a great time together. It's been so fun to reconnect with my MTC companion. We realized that we've come a long way since the days of the MTC, and it's even more apparent being back together again. All I can say is that missions are miracles and the reason why they are so miraculous lies in the enabling and changing power of the Atonement. Everyday I'm amazed at the change I've seen in myself as well as others. When I entered the MTC, I was told I would have a front row seat to see how the Atonement changes people. I thought I would watch other people change, but little did I know that the person I would see change the most is myself. 


I love you, all, and I hope you all take some time to see the good in yourself this week! 


Love


Sister Jarvis


No comments:

Post a Comment