Monday, June 6, 2016

Families Can Be Together Forever

Do you remember a couple weeks ago when I wrote about Nina?
Well, we had our next lesson with her this week, and boy, what a lesson!
We planned to talk to her about the Plan of Salvation (God's plan to help us be happy) and center it on how families can be together forever thanks to the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It was one of the best lessons I've ever had the opportunity to be a part of.

We started off the lesson by singing I am a Child of God, and Nina was in tears. She was so focused the whole time we were talking to her and when we told her that she could see her husband again and that they could live together for eternity, she was physically affected by it. I've always had this information in my life that my family will always be together, and that there is life after death, so to see it take so much effect on someone else to whom this information was new made me grateful all over again for my parents who taught me this starting from when I was very young.  Nina is an amazing woman. And she always stuffs us with chocolate when we go over to see her, so basically she's perfect.

We also had an opportunity to go do some service for this sweet old man named Ivan... I think I talked about him, too, a little while ago... He's about 80, and he's one of the sweetest people I've ever met. It was so fun. We went to his dacha, (The russian word for a country home, most people have them. They're just kind of like little shacks in the middle of a small plot of ground, where they plant fruits and vegetables that they then sell to markets here.) and pulled all his weeds to Russian folk music. I know one folk song all the way through, and Ivan and I sang it together. It was great. We also started teaching him the 1st lesson, but we found out that he actually lives in Volzhki, the city across the Volga from Volgograd, so we had to give him over to the elders who live out there. Which is really a жаль because I love him so much. Luckily, if he gets baptized, they'll have to come to Volgograd because they don't have a batismal font in Volzhki, so pray that he gets baptized!
Overall, our week was full of just amazing things that happened. Sister Lindquist and I were the busiest we have ever been; it was like I was back in the tri-pan doing the work of two companionships! 

The scripture I've been trying to apply in my life more this week is found in the Bible. 
"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." Matt. 16:25
I know this scripture is true; when we try our hardest to focus on others, we find ourselves happier and closer to them as well as God. I know that families CAN be together forever, and that this is news that needs to be shared with everyone around us. I'm so grateful I have the opportunity to help others be with their families for forever and to heal the broken hearted.
I love you all! And I know the Savior does too! Have a wonderful week!
 с любовью
Сестра Джарвис

No comments:

Post a Comment