Monday, October 5, 2015

The Hunt for Brown October

Shalom!

What a crazy week I've had this week! 


It all started with the water going off in Red Army for 2 days.


After I emailed last Monday, we got a call from the Branch President here in Red Army who told us the water was about to go off for repairs and we needed to run home and fill up as many buckets as we could with water. Unfortunately, they had already turned off the cold water in our building, so the water was coming out boiling hot and brown. It was quite the adventure trying to fill up metal pots and random water bottles with burning hot, muddy water. It was fun, and Sister Misuraca and I laughed the whole time, no worries. (Also we have separate water that's clean, so not a big deal.)

We then had splits on Thursday, so I was with Sister Montierth! It was quite the day we had. Neither of us have been out for very long; in fact, Sister Montierth has only been out two weeks, so I guess I was the "senior" companion. (Those 6 extra weeks there really make a difference.) We didn't know much Russian between the two of us, but we sure did have an adventure. We met a grandpa outside the city who started off the conversation by telling us what beautiful girls we were and finished the conversation by trying to convince us that Obama was using the Book of Mormon as a political trap... Or at least that's what I understood. Either way, he was a very nice old man, and I'm sure we'll run into him again since he lives by a member. Later, we street taught and met a bunch of veterans from World War II coming out of a concert for "wise" people (that's the polite way to say elderly people in Russian). They were great. I love the babushkas and dedushkas here. They're adorable and usually very kind.

In the end we made it back to our trainers in one piece. AND we had zone conference. Which was just exactly what I needed. 


President Miner and Sister Miner are some of my very favorite people. I'm so lucky to have them as my mission presidents. I really feel like they're my extra set of family away from home. They're loving and kind and just full of wisdom. 


I haven't watched general conference yet; we'll watch conference next week with our ward when they upload the sessions in Russian.


Hope you all have a wonderful week! And I hope you all had a chance to watch conference! I'm sure it was absolutely amazing. I know I'm looking forward to it immensely. :)


Love,


Sister Jarvis

Russia Rostov-na-Donu Mission
Per. Semashka 117B
Rostov 344018
Russia



The sisters in our zone watching women's conference

Our Zone!  Names! (From back row left) Elder Foote, Elder Fisher, Elder Randall, Elder Barnes, Elder Cox, and Elder Barlocker
(Middle Row left) Elder Simenyook (He's Russian), Elder Berger, Elder Wilcox, Elder Henrie, Elder Waterson, Elder Corbridge
(Front Row Left) Sister Montierth, Sister Marquis, ME, Sister Misuraca, Sister Miner, President Miner.


Sister Montierth and I on splits

Pretty field in Red Army

This is how Russians pose for pictures.  I thought I'd try it.

Sister Montierth and I

The various assortment of pans and bowls we used for water.


No comments:

Post a Comment