Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Drinking from the Fire Hydrant

Hello All!  

This week I heard a great analogy about the MTC. Essentially, the MTC is like a fire hydrant of knowledge that we're supposed to drink from. We get some water in our mouth, but mostly it just hurts our face.

Don't get me wrong, though, I really actually love it here. I'm learning more and growing more than I ever have in my life.

This week we gained two new "investigators". (They're our teachers acting as people they met on their missions.) Both have accepted the invitation to be baptized, so I guess Sister Sommers and I are doing something right! I can't wait to be actually teaching in Russia.

Last Sunday I saw Meet the Mormons during our movie time. It was a fantastic movie and I would invite you all to go see it if you haven't yet.  One of the most beautiful messages I received from the movie was that one person can impact so many other people's lives for good. That's the beauty of the love of Christ. The closer you come to Him, the greater desire you have to serve others. It motivates you to see others as the children of God that they are: your equals. 

At times I can become lost in the little things. The seemingly stupid rules and the people that grate my nerves, but if I focus on my ultimate goal--to bring people joy that can only be given through the Gospel of Christ--I remember why I'm here and all the work I have yet to accomplish.

I want to leave you all with a (paraphrased) quote and a scripture.

Elder Bednar once gave a talk about going forward in faith and he said something along the lines of this: "We have to take a step into the darkness in order to receive greater light." When I'm worried I won't be understood because I know so little Russian, I think of this quote. I can only become better when I trust that God will help me learn this language.

And the scripture! 2 Nephi 1:15 "I am encircled about eternally in the arms of His love."

From Russia with Love,

Сестра Jarvis

Also, don't be afraid to write me! It gets a little monotonous here at the MTC, so every letter I get is a great addition to my day!

AUG03 RUS-ROS
2009 N 900 East
Unit 114
Provo, UT 84602

All of the Sisters in my District


Flowers and the Rain


The Companionship


Post-Temple Visit



 Sister Grant and Me


No comments:

Post a Comment