Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Ужос

Dearest Friends and Family,

The word in the subject line is an expression of exhaustion in Russian. It's pronounced [oo-zh-uh-s]. It is also a very accurate description of my week.

This week has been a CRAZY one. Let me tell you. From making my bed to teaching a lesson entirely in Russian to playing some game called Ladder Golf.

First off, let me explain how missions are organized. Missions are made up of smaller areas called zones which are in turn made of districts and then as the smallest unit, there are companions.

So my zone is pretty great. During meals, we sit in this little alcove with pillars in front of it. We call it the Iron Curtain. I love it.

I also really love my district. There are three other sisters going to the Rostov mission with me, two elders heading to Ukraine, and three sisters also heading to Ukraine. We get along so well. Some times a little too well, but I couldn't have asked for a better group to be absolutely puzzled by Russian with. Including my lovely companion, Cectpa (Sister) Sommers. She's a southern bell from beautiful South Carolina and a complete breath of fresh air. I love her!

Speaking of... we have already taught our first lesson in Russian. In fact, we've already taught four. They were to a convert to the church pretending to be an investigator, but that first lesson we had, I was so nervous I could hardly speak, let alone in Russian. Over half the time I have no idea what I'm saying, and 75% of the time I have no idea what the investigator is saying. The good news is, I'm starting to really rely on what the Spirit tells me because otherwise I would be completely lost.

In one lesson, we asked Oksana, our investigator, what she thought about there being a living prophet. I have never felt the Spirit quite like that. I could see that she was really thinking about her answer, and although I had no idea what she was saying, I knew that she had truly felt the Spirit and that her answer had been a result of that Spirit that she felt. Watching someone be influenced by the Spirit is one of the sweetest experiences I have ever witnessed. I am so excited to serve the people of Russia and help them to feel the influence of the Holy Ghost in their lives.

Although Russian is really hard, I'm loving it. I kind of want our lessons to go even faster. I can't believe how lucky I am to be here on a mission, learning how to teach about something so dear to my heart. 

I love you all, and I know that Heavenly Father loves you, too!

I'll leave you with my companion's favorite scripture (which is slowly becoming one of mine)

Isaiah 41:10
Fear thou not; for am with thee: be not dismayed; for am thy God: will strengthen thee; yea, will help thee; yeawill uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Love,
Сестра Jarvis

P.S. Сестра is pronounced (s-yeh-str-uh)

Day One with my companion, Sister Sommers

Day Two with the District
From Right to left
Elder Palmer, Elder White, Sister Sommers, Sister Jarvis, Sister Matthews, 
Sister Morris, Sister Johnson, Sister Beach, Sister Grant

My first lesson plan and prayer in Russian

The board on our first day

My desk

Utah scenery!  Pretty flowers at the temple...

And beautiful mountains!

Sister Sommers and I (She's also heading to Rostov!)

The district at the temple

Our Ukranian Sisters, Sisters Johnson, Morris, and Matthews

The Zone!  Look how many sisters there are!  Apparently Sisters outnumber Elders in the MTC for the FIRST TIME!

 Sister Grant in our room

 Sister Sommers in our room

 My CTR ring from my sister--I wear it faithfully!

Elder Vader

No comments:

Post a Comment